Treatment of Periodontal Disease
Periodontist North Austin
Periodontal disease cannot be fully cured at this time. However, there are a variety of treatment options available. To recommend your particular treatment plan, we will start by employing conservative treatments based on your current stage of periodontal disease. We will follow up with you regularly during treatment to determine whether to continue with your current plan, advance to more aggressive treatment options, or shift into the maintenance care phase of treatment.
Conservative treatment for periodontal disease includes several options:
- Deep cleaning or planing to remove plaque and calculus from your teeth
- Prescription mouth rinse to chemically treat the bacterial infection
- Over-the-counter fluoride treatment to help prevent tooth decay
- Certain toothpastes may assist in disrupting bacteria in the mouth
- More aggressive therapy includes surgical options, such as:
- Pocket reduction to reduce the depth of gum pockets
- Bone grafting or bone regeneration to help restore lost bone tissue
- Gum grafting to make thinning gums more resistant to infection or to cover exposed teeth roots
Once periodontal disease treatment has successfully completed, we will shift your treatment to a maintenance care stage to ensure the disease does not recur or progress further.